I admit it.
Running your business, and particularly doing your marketing yourself, can be challenging.
The good news is that all of it is so much easier when you use a proven system for getting it done with the least amount of friction.
So whether you're putting together up lead generation programs, mapping out your social media presence, setting up events, or developing a better onboarding process, this system will help you.
Because this system makes the development process easier, more efficient, and effective.
1. Schedule time to do the work on your calendar (not just a line item on your "to-do" list).
Putting a task or project on your schedule (calendar) is a commitment ritual that actually increases the likelihood of getting it done. So rather than waiting to find a spare moment, put the task(s) on your calendar. Schedule as much time as you need or can spare to get started, so you're not rushed or feeling pressure.
2. Use a detailed checklist or "recipe" to guide you through the process.
Starting from scratch can be hardest part of any project. If you know there are many steps but you don't know where to start or what to do first, you are more likely to become frustrated and discouraged, and may put off or even abandon the project. Using checklists to complete projects keeps your focus on the next step, reducing overwhelm. Also, checklists help you to cover all your bases, so you don't miss any important steps.
Power Up: You'll find tons of checklists for marketing programs in our archives.
3. Set up your "mis en place" (putting in place the tools and information you need to complete the task) as the first step.
Even the best cooks follow recipes, and set up their mis en place before they start cooking. So when you're cooking up a marketing initiative, you can apply that proven strategy to improve and simplify your projects.
Because not having these elements prepared in advance and easily at hand derails your process, resulting in errors, frustration, disappointment, and delays.
This simple 3-step system is one of the foundational strategies for doing it yourself. The benefits to following this system are:
- Less time, effort, energy to get better, more consistent results
- Reduced errors, frustration, delays
- Continuous improvement and strengthened skills through repetition
- An optimized, efficient process you can delegate when you're ready
What are your thoughts? Please share your productivity tips and ideas in our Facebook group.