Top 10 Reasons to Use Notepads as Marketing Tools
By Veronika (Ronnie) Noize, the Marketing Coach
Most of us think of things like brochures as marketing tools, and for good reason--because they are marketing tools. But how many of your prospects, partners, and clients look at or use your brochures on a regular basis? Probably not all that many.
Sure, your brochure might get scanned when your prospect is evaluating options or looking for a solution, but how do you get that brochure into your prospects hands in the first place? It's probably not like your clients keep stacks of your brochures on hand to pass out at every opportunity, so to even get your brochure read YOU have to take some action. YOU have to do the work to attract the attention of the prospect, get them to ask for information, then send out the brochure. Whew! That's a lot of work for about three seconds of attention. But if you like to do things the old fashioned (read: HARD) way, be my guest.
Me, I like to do most things the easy way. I like referrals. I like repeat business. I also like prospects coming to me in droves. Which means is that I don't spend much time or money on many marketing tools, because, as I mentioned, I like to do things the very easy way, which brings me to why I like notepads so much.
So if the headline wasn't enough of a clue, here is where I share my top 10 reasons (besides laziness) why I like to use notepads in my marketing:
1. Subtlety. Unlike most marketing materials, notepads are subtle. Yes, even notepads with a logo, contact info, and a tag line are much more subtle than a brochure or coupon that screams "buy something!"
2. Functionality. Who doesn't need a notepad to scribble a quick to-do list, jot down a phone message, or make a note of something worth remembering? Unlike most marketing materials (which are often "filed" in the garbage can, never to be seen again), a notepad has real functionality for almost everyone.
3. High perceived value. Anything with color, a function, and a logo has at least some perceived value. Just compare the cost of a blank notepad with a brightly colored notepad of the same size and shape that features an image, or better yet, a branded image, and you'll see a huge price difference. Believe it or not, that price hike isn't just due to the royalties demanded by Hannah Montana's licensing company; nope, the price is significantly higher because little Madison wants the Hannah Montana notepad, thank you very much, and not that plain old stinky pink one. And if Mommy is willing to shell out three times the price for what Madison wants, rather than wasting her money buying what Madison doesn't value, well, business is about making a profit.
4. Affordability. Notepads are inexpensive in the first place, and the price per unit just gets better the more you buy. OK, so maybe that is true of many promotional items, but how many are this affordable in low quantities? Not many.
5. Credibility. Since doctors, lawyers, and other high-trust professionals use personalized notepads (although not specifically for marketing), using notepads can add the cachet of professionalism when your many awards, certificates, and client testimonials are not readily available.
6. Generosity. Notepads make a welcome yet modest gift or reward for clients that doesn't trigger the urge of reciprocity. Your clients can accept your notepads without feeling obliged to run out and buy you a gift, which allows you to be generous more frequently, thus appearing to be more abundant, successful, and giving than the average bear.
7. Visibility. Is there any better advertising "real estate" than your clients', prospects', or power partners' desks? Keeping your name, your logo, and yes, your very existence front and center without annoying them with a marketing message is worth its weight in gold.
8. Accessibility. Not only are you top-of-mind, you're literally within reach when your notepad is parked on your clients' desks. No need to search the database, flip through that stack of business cards, or even do a quick web search for your phone number when it's right there on your notepad. Talk about instant gratification!
9. Refer-ability. Unless your clients are hyper-organized (who are we kidding here?), when the moment arrives for them to refer their clients, colleagues, or family members to you, chances are they will not be able to find your business card. The next best thing? A sheet from the notepad you so thoughtfully sent or dropped by last week. Could it BE any easier? Nope!
10. Recognizability. Research has indicated that familiarity is one of the key factors in choosing, well, just about anything. Therefore, the more familiar our name, logo, and business are to our clients, partners, and prospects, the greater the probability of becoming the resource of choice. Just imagine the cumulative effect of your recognizability through repeated impressions of your notepads. Even without any other means of advertising or promotion, seeing your notepad daily (or even frequently, in others' homes and offices) can make your business appear to be the right choice over others simply because of familiarity.
Read more Top 10 lists or view articles.
About the author
Veronika (Ronnie) Noize, the Marketing Coach, is a successful Vancouver, WA-based entrepreneur, author, speaker, and coach who helps small businesses attract more clients and double their business in just 30 minutes a day. Ronnie's web site is a comprehensive resource with free articles and valuable marketing tools for small office/home office business professionals. Visit her web site at www.VeronikaNoize.com, or call her at 360-882-1298.
Author's note: You're welcome to use this article as content for your own ezine or web site! Just make sure that the article remains complete and unaltered (including the "About the author" info and copyright line at the end), and that you send a copy of your reprint to Ronnie@VeronikaNoize.com. You may also use my photo (found on my home page at www.VeronikaNoize.com) with the article.
Top 10 Reasons to Use Notepads as Marketing Tools © 2009 Veronika Noize. All rights reserved.