This is what I think, and how I (do my best to) live. Does it sound preachy? Hey, don't blame me; if you're reading this, it's because you saw the page title and were curious (a sign of intelligence, by the way). You could tell by the title what this was, so don't say you weren't warned...
Top 10 Steps to Becoming Truly Happy
- Acknowledge your own accomplishments. You know what you did better than anyone else--how much it cost you, how hard you worked (or didn't, because you're just a natural), and what it took to do it. So be nice to yourself for once, and let yourself admit that you did well (or at least you tried).
- Be grateful for your daily blessings. I don't care if you are in a wheelchair (I've been there), or your lover just cheated on you (been there, too), or if your parents have no idea how hard you work (sigh), or if everybody on your block or at work or wherever has more or better or whatever than you, remember this: It can ALWAYS get worse, so be grateful for what you've got.
- Simplify your life. Get rid of stuff you don't use (donate it), clean up the clutter (trash it), and only keep what is truly important to you.
- Reduce your tolerations. People, things, or ideas that get in your way or hold you back or make you feel burdened need to be dumped. I'm not saying that you should be a sociopath and ignore the feelings of everyone in your life, but if you have "friends" who bring you down, or old beliefs ("I don't deserve nice things") that get in your way, or obligations on your mind, either do 'em or ditch 'em. Now.
- Commit to speaking nothing but the truth. It's far easier to remember than lies, for one thing. And you'll like yourself better. I'm not saying always say everything you're thinking, I'm simply advocating telling the truth, and nothing but.
- Accept personal responsibility for your own happiness. Nobody (NOBODY) can "make" you happy except yourself. That's actually good news, because it means that your happiness doesn't depend on anyone except yourself.
- Forgive old hurts and release any grudges. It just doesn't do you any good, and it actually does harm you, and you've already suffered enough. Don't get me wrong, because I'm not saying that you should allow whomever hurt you to do so again. I'm just saying get over it. I know it hurt you badly, but only you can prevent that person or those people from hurting you any more.
- CHOOSE how you spend your time. If you want to watch TV, do it, but don't tell me you don't "have time" to start your own band, or write that book, or meet your soul mate when you've just spent the last 30 minutes (I'm being generous here) watching reruns on cable. We all have the same amount of time, and if it were money, you'd realize how rich you already are, so spend your time as if it were cash.
- Take good care of yourself (because, honey, nobody else will). Treat yourself like the most important person in the world, because you ARE the most important person in your world. Yes, not your partner, or even your kids -- YOU are the most important person in your world. Especially if you have kids, be good to yourself. You're teaching them how to be people, and they'll need to take care of themselves some day, and how they do that will be influenced by the lessons you teach them. They are watching you...
- Look on the bright side. No, I'm not being Pollyanna-ish, but surely you've heard of quantum physics by now? Let me short-cut it for you: Thoughts turn into action, and actions are our reality. Moral: Think good thoughts.
Top 10 Steps to Becoming Truly Happy © 2003 Veronika Noize. All rights reserved.
"I help small businesses attract more clients."
~Veronika Noize, the Virtual Marketing Coach
Veronika Noize LLC
The Virtual Marketing Coach
2643 Beaver Ave · PMB 338 · Des Moines IA 50310 · USA